Tuesday 28 July 2015

Rare Circumstances

In the year of 1999 all my hopes shattered, my idea of life was uprooted and bones tingled with fear at the very thought of love for I believed that every happy thing ends on a rather sad note.

Yet after years in hospital and more years in therapy I came out to be a strong person. And during my periods of sanity I realized I had inherited much. But the irony is when I wanted money I was penniless and now out of nowhere I have everything I don’t want.

Pushing my wheelchair hard, mainly out of frustration, I decided to end my social identity as a recluse. I decided to sell books on a stall by the road!

I could not continue with my old job of running a heartless company and neither could I possibly face the monotonous schedule and official diorama. Added to this, I didn’t have many friends who would ridicule my desire to be with people of a different genre. But there was Mr. P, my psychologist and I didn’t tell him about my future venture.

I was young and reckless but that is how I found my wife.

Of all the books at my home my most beloved possession was The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien. Almost every night I would fall asleep by its side. My father would read every line with heartfelt emotions and mother would help me dress like an elf whenever I wanted to run away into my dreams. But as I said happy isn’t what was planned for me. Now, whenever I am broken I have my copy of the book and I would read it just for the sake of old times.

Years later, I was beside my stall, hoping to be greeted by a customer I read my favorite book. The street was dark with a distinct smell of O’ Henry’s burgers. There was a strong wind which made the atmosphere more gloomy and pale, yet I had a strong feeling of being watched. Amid the howling dogs, honking cars and screaming children Mr. P came. Stomping at the carpet he said, “Hello, Jensen. How have you been feeling lately?”
I found those words unwelcome. If I said that I was fine he would emotionally blackmail me and if I said that I wasn’t he would hover over me till death. To avoid all the agony I said in a rather puny voice, “Same old, same old.”

 “Well, since you didn’t return any of my calls I took the liberty of allowing myself to ponder over your shop. And by seeing your under-improved state I suggest you should find another means to spend your day. And how many times do I have to tell you not to read that book, not to fret over what had happened?”

“This is my idea of happiness and that is all I have to say.”

Providing much relief, a woman too pretty for her age stepped ahead looking for a romantic novel (a genre I hate more than anything). She scrolled through a book and flipped through the pages just like the breeze which ran its hands through her unbelievably dark hair. She asked what the price was and I couldn’t speak. She was just as I had imagined her to be, my Arwen the fairest creature from my beloved book. I searched for words and surprisingly instead of saying anything required I demanded two dollars.

That night I couldn’t sleep, I had been hallucinating. Scared I went to my bed with difficulty. My inability to walk had rendered me useless. I flipped through the pages of the wonderful book. I went into a deep slumber. And when I woke up my world had changed. I wasn’t Jensen Archer, the poor rich guy. But I was the king of the men, Aragorn, the rider from north gifted with wisdom and longevity. My love of life was Arwen and I was there to save the world from its doomed end. I wasn’t in wheelchair any more for I could run. I had somehow found a passage to the place I had always wanted to be in.

No comments:

Post a Comment